October 12, 2011

Envelope Closure Pillow



I know there are a lot of tutorials out there for "no-sew" projects. Pillows and Curtains and things. But I'm not embarrassed to say, I LOVE sewing!!! The only experience I have is a little home ec. and clothing class in high school. But a few months ago I decided to make some easy roman shades that involved minimal sewing. My mother in law let me borrow her machine and gave me some tips here and there. Now I'm saving up for my own sewing machine so she can have hers back :) At the moment I'm making my son a prince charming costume for a halloween party this Friday. It's taking hours upon hours to do, but I'm completely enjoying it!! 

So a quick and easy project to do on the sewing machine is an envelope closure accent pillow. Each one I've done took me less than an hour. The worst part is actually just cutting the fabric if you ask me!


First find yourself a pillow insert. I've found a good way to buy them is at your local Goodwill Store. They are $1.50 at my stores and sometimes I can even find Pottery Barn inserts. The covers are usually stained or old and dated, but the insert inside is worth every penny of that $1.50!! Cut your front piece of fabric to the size of the pillow plus 1/2 an inch. My insert was 11 x 13 so my front piece of fabric was  11 1/2 x 13 1/2. Then cut 2 pieces for the back of your pillow. You want them to overlap about 2 inches plus a 1/2 an inch for the seam.  So for my 11 x 13 inch pillow I cut each piece about 11 1/2 x 9. 


Pin the two back pieces about 3/4 of an inch on the sides where they are going to overlap eachother and sew a 1/2 inch seam.


Once the two seams have been sewed lay the front piece right side up. (Meaning the side that you want showing when the pillow is done) Then lay the two back pieces down right sides facing down with them overlapping in the middle.


Pin them together and sew around the whole pillow with a 1/2 inch seam.


Cut off the corners so it will be easier to get crisp corners when turned right side out. Then turn it right side out! You can use the end of a pencil (eraser side) or the end of your seam ripper to push at the corners. Iron all of the seams flat so they look crisp and professional and you're done!! Simple!!


And one from the back.....





Linking up to:

1 comment:

  1. I love the fabric on that pillow and great tute!! TFS!! Stopping by from Funky Junk Interiors linky party and your newest follower here, FB and Pinterest.

    Here is what I shared this week: http://craftybrooklynarmywife.blogspot.com/2012/01/hollys-first-coat.html

    ReplyDelete