May 23, 2012

Nana's Antique Rocking Chair

I have a sentimental makeover for you today :)



About 2 months ago my Nana passed away. She fought a good fight against hodgkin's lymphoma but it eventually took over. I miss her and always will, but I take comfort in the fact that she was a Christian woman who loved the Lord and most certainly is now praising Him for an eternity in Heaven :)

She had a home full of beautiful furniture, most of it antique. She and I were able to talk in the days before she passed and it meant a lot to me that she wanted to pass some of it on to me to makeover. She was very supportive and excited about my new business and hobby.

First up is this adorable rocking chair for my beautiful niece, Etta.



As you can see it was a dark wood with a floral print seat. The wood had plenty of nicks and scratches and the floral was not exactly my 4 year old niece's style ;)

My sister in law picked up some pretty striped fabric from Joann Fabric to go with Etta's room. After taking off a few old layers I added white fabric and then the striped. This way the white stripes looked whiter and brighter.

I painted the chair with Annie Sloan's pure white, distressed, then protected with clear wax.





I know Nana would LOVE that this chair will now be in Etta's reading corner and I know that Etta will make some rockin' good memories in it! ;)



The main piece of furniture nana and I talked about was her antique secretary desk that I'm going to makeover for my younger sister. She just closed on her first house today with her husband and I'm so excited and honored to be getting this special piece of furniture ready to go live with such a special couple. Working on this desk will be a true labor of love :) I can't wait to get started on it!



5 comments:

  1. I love it! And Nana would too:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!!! The chair makeover AND the sentiments!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. Your Nana would love it! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great transformation! I love the new look! Thanks so much for sharing at Thursday's Temptation.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete